Chapter President’s Corner: Lauren Harris
What inspired you to lead WISE Cleveland?
WISE is the reason for my current career in the sports/events industry. After researching the organization in college, I joined the Cleveland chapter and started to volunteer at events. Through the WISE relationships I built, I secured an internship at the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission that transitioned into a full-time position.
I continued my participation, attending the WISE Women of the Year Awards Luncheon in New York and serving as a WISE Cleveland board member. WISE opened doors and helped me establish business and personal relationships that are still relevant in my life. When the president position opened, I knew it would be my opportunity to further push the mission and values of WISE to other individuals and allow me to give back to an organization that has done so much for my career.
What has been the most rewarding aspect of being chapter president?
Giving back to an organization that has been my sounding board since I entered into the sports/events industry. The position has allowed me to continue to create programming that helps enrich and educate others, connect women who are trying to find their way in the industry with seasoned professionals, and stay current with industry trends and continue to sharpen my skills as a professional.
What is the next step for WISE Cleveland?
WISE Cleveland is looking to rebrand our events in efforts to increase membership. We want to provide new and unique experiences to our members while combining that with social and networking opportunities. It is important that we also host events in different areas around the city and at different times of the day to ensure that each member has the opportunity to participate.
List three adjectives that best describe WISE Cleveland.
Fresh. Eager. Dynamic.
Current Chapter President
Founding Chapter President
Founding Board Members
Paula Grooms, Jackie Simpson and others
Most Popular Event
Women of Inspiration Awards and Scholarship Reception
Most Interesting/Highly Attended Speaker/Topic
Power Play: Women Who Rock — Behind the Scenes of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction
Approximate Number of Events Per Year
Event Price Range
Typically, free–$5 for members; $15 on average for nonmembers
Women of Inspiration Awards and Scholarship Reception: $35 members/$45 nonmembers
Average Event Attendance
Do you offer WISE Within?
Do you offer Speed Mentoring Roundtables?
Do you have an annual event exclusive to your chapter?
Yes, we do an annual membership appreciation event, a casual social outing for our members.
Cleveland Indians, Cleveland Cavaliers, Tiffin University
Women of Inspiration Honorees
- 2012: Buffy Filippell, founder and president, Teamwork Online
- 2013: Sherri Foxman, founder, Party 411 Events; Stephanie Tolleson, senior corporate vice president, IMG
- 2014: Susan Polokoff Shaw, president, Polokoff Communications; Meredith Camp, founder, Meredith Camp Events
- 2015: Tracy Marek, senior vice president/chief marketing officer, Cleveland Cavaliers; Paula Grooms, executive director, Ingenuity Festival
- 2016: Mary Beth Pate, executive director of marketing and philanthropy communications, Cleveland Clinic; Julie Work, assistant executive director, National Association of Collegiate Director Athletics; Bonnie Tiell, dean of graduate studies/sports management professor, Tiffin University
- 2018: Sara Lehrke, vice president of human resources and chief diversity officer, Cleveland Indians; Hallie Yavitch, vice president of event booking, Cleveland Cavaliers
Connect with WISE Cleveland